Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Leisure Activities

I'm currently taking a writing intensive class, Perspectives on Leisure, which I absolutely LOVE. A few weekends ago our entire class participated in a 6 hour long playday, including the ropes course on campus. This was the kind of thing I successfully completed:






I couldn't find a picture of my absolute favorite, which required climbing up a 45 ft pole and jumping off the platform at the top. Most people attempt to jump and grab something similiar to this:



After observing this multiple times with my classmates repeatedly missing it, I decided to just jump off backwards. I walked to the edge and leaned back... it was a rush! But a little scary, as your stomach drops (like the feeling when on a rollercoaster).

I love that this day was a required activity for our class, as I wouldn't have experienced the ropes course, which is conveniently located on campus, otherwise. The class also stresses the importances of a successful leisure lifestyle, and I've been putting greater emphasis on my leisure lifestyle since taking the class. I used to be so active, but have neglected these activities due to my hectic schedule of school and work. But I've learned that I need to make time for these activities, and participating in them makes me a happier and healthier person. Last weekend I went to the driving range to hit some golf balls with one of my friends and today I played basketball for the first time in years after my run along the river trail. I have so much more energy on the days I make time to be active!

No comments:

Post a Comment