Saturday, December 17, 2011

Surf's up!

I love trying new things, so when a couple friends invited me on a camping/surfing trip back in November I just couldn't pass it up.

We went camping at Half Moon Bay and surfing at a beach in Pacifica that is the perfect spot for beginners. Standing on the beach, the waves look itty bitty. Out in the ocean, however, they are massive.

Likes:
  • It doesn't hurt when you fall
  • Wetsuits really do work!
  • Great workout
  • Challenging and rewarding
  • Pretty cheap board and wetsuit rentals. We rented from Sonlight Surf Shop - they are SO nice and really affordable. I believe it was only $25 per person for everything we needed.

Dislikes:
  • It takes all your strength to fight the waves and get out there, only to catch a bad wave and waste all that energy
  • Crowded/too many beginners (I realize I was one, but too many boards and inexperienced surfers can get dangerous)
  • Drop offs and rocky areas on the ocean floor
  • Can be frustrating and exhausting


I learned that wetsuits do not flatter me

Silly girls posing while I get my surf on!

Overall, I had a blast and surfing is something I'd definitely try again. Perhaps in weather that's not 45 degrees and raining?!

Happy Surfing!

2 comments:

  1. Adventure girl strikes again. Love it. It does sound exhausting, and I imagine you have to be pretty balanced as well as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good for you! I am such a wuss when it comes to trying new things. Wanted to stop by and wish you a happy new year my friend! Hope it's a great one and that you get around to blogging more. ;-)

    ReplyDelete